Go-Go

Saturday, November 13, 2010

10 Gifts That Won't Clutter or Trip!

Here it is again.  It always sneaks up on us.  Why are we always surprised that it is time for the holidays again.  For me it is the shopping.  I am not a shopper.  I love a great bargain but I am not one to roam a shopping center for entertainment.  I'd much rather be reading a good book, playing with my children or at the park doing a whole lot of nothin'.  So what am I going to do this year? 



My children ages 8 and 2 have pretty much as many toys as they can possibly play with on any given day or weekend.  Most of the time they would rather have a stick or a ball but their favorite is our attention. My husband and I are at an age where we are pretty settled and happy and don't need to be showered with gifts.  So, why load the tree with "things".

Here is a list of 10 gift ideas that will not clutter closets and make stairways a tripping hazard. 10 gifts that just might keep the Merry in Christmas and the Happy in your Holidays. 

1.  Travel -- my favorite gift.  This may be the year we load up for a 3 day trip in February for Yellowstone.  A ride in a Snowcat will thrill everyone - even the 2 year old.  This is certainly a pricey option that will add up quickly.   I guess we don't have to go so far.  We could snowshoe into a Yurt at a Colorado State Park,  play in the snow and cook marshmellows over the fire.

2.  Movies -- Oh boy do we like going to the movies.  We usually rent or stream Netflix movies so it is a special treat to load up and head to the theater.  In fact, my parents met on a blind date on the evening of December 25th.  So every year my Mom recommended going to the movie because you just never knew what kind of exciting thing might happen. 

3.  Bowling -- Yes, I said bowling.  Doesn't every town in America have a bowling alley.  They have gift cards and my son thinks it is just about the neatest thing to do on a cold winter day.  My favorite part of our bowling alley are the french fries!  Dress up in groovy 50's attire and make it a huge family event!

4.  A Class -- So your husband always jokes about taking an underwater basket weaving class, so why not!  Did you know they have classes in the craziest things.  I know someone that plays polo in a kayak in the winter.  Doesn't that sound like an awesome gift.  The receipient would certainly be suprised that you thought of something so unique and personal.

5.  A gift of time -- Give your sister a night of babysitting.  Give your husband a day to go shooting (pool, baskets, guns, whatever men shoot) with his buddies, his brothers, his sons and promise a great dinner when they get home. 

6.  Crafts you and your children make together --  One Christmas my son and I made all of our gifts. We felted soap, we made these gorgeous Christmas Batik wall hangings that were so fun and kid friendly.  Check out Disney's Family Fun magazine at http://www.familyfun.go.com/.  They have amazing crafts that make wonderful keepsake gifts for family. 

7.  Subscriptions --  Ok this is a "thing" but I don't buy magazines for myself so I think it is so cool when someone really thinks about what I like and then picks out a magazine to match my interests.  By the way... Family Fun is one of the coolest magazines for families and children.  The Missouri Department of Conservation has a great magazine called Xplor (http://xplor.mdc.mo.gov/xplor/get-xplor-magazine)  for children that cost only $5 for 6 issues and is FREE to Missouri residents.  The Missouri Conservation magazine is also free to MO residents and next to nothin' for the rest of us.  My kids love looking at the animal pictures and the art teacher at school is tickled when we recycle our "boy" magazines to her art room!

8.  Service:  Give the gift of serving others.  Help the neighbor with their walk this winter. Go to your friend who has a new baby and cook dinner or clean bathrooms. Make a visit to a nursing home and let your child read a book to a resident. Help out with the local Meals on Wheels! Do your child's chores for 1 week and pay them their allowance anyway.  Make a cute coupon and let them chose when you help them out or when you go together and help someone else.  The gift of serving others is something everyone should experience and find out at a young age that it gifts the giver and the receiver. 

9. Sharing Talents:  We all have talents that are unqiue to us.  Why not share them with someone else.  Teach someone to cook your favorite dish and take it home to their family.  Show a young person how to knit, quilt.  Spend a day teaching your son to take a beautiful photograph.  

10.  Honor Donations:  I believe most people call this Alternative Giving.  We all have friends and family that want nothing or need nothing.  Honor them and the love you have for them by gifting someone in need in their name.

Christmas is not about what we "get" each year.  It is about giving.  The season is about celebrating the most miraculous gift that God ever gave man - his son in flesh on earth.  So, even though there will be a few toys, that clutter and trip, under our tree this year.  I hope to find gifts that will honor and celebrate the true spirit of this Christmas season!  Gifts that will bring my family closer together to celebrate the love and peace that God means for each one of us to have every day of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! Where should we visit next?