Go-Go

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Over the river...

Over the river and thru the woods to Oklahoma we go! 

When I was a kid we would drive, less than 60 minutes, to my Grandmothers' houses for Thanksgiving. Now,  it only takes 6 seconds smelling certain foods to transport me back in time to both of my Grandmothers' tables. 



When I smell turkey and my Aunt Georgeanne's Denver Biscuits I think of my Mother's family packing into my Grandparent's small home.  I can hear my Uncle playing Scott Joplin on the piano, the football games and the men cheering and hollering in the living room while the 5 sisters hang out giggle in the bathroom like teenagers.  I shake with laughter remembering my cousins & I hiding in my Grandparent's room spinning on the barstools until we fell off or nearly lost our turkey. 


Look at all the food! That's my baby sister. Aunt Wanda is behind Grandpa at the stove. 
 Remembering my Grandma Mattie  is easy when I pop a roast in the oven with carrots and potatoes.  That smell transports me back to the dinners that my Aunt Wanda filled with love and saturated fats.  That cozy feeling of sitting around the table watching my cousins Kim and Terry bickering over a game of Po-Ke-No while I nearly fell asleep wearing my new winter PJs.

This Thanksgiving we are going to take a LONG LONG ride to Oklahoma to see my husband's Grandparents.  I hope that my sons will hold on to something from this trip that in 20 years will help them travel back in time to the wonderful traveling memories of our family.

So, maybe you just aren't able to go and visit with family this year.  Maybe you'd rather be boiled by cannibals than hang out with your family.  It doesn't matter whether you celebrate with old traditions or make new ones.  Take the time to find something that will help you recall the joy of this wonderful time of Thanks in the years to come. 
Me (in Purple) with Mom, Grandma and Great Aunt Ruth 1980-something

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! Where should we visit next?