Go-Go

Saturday, April 6, 2013

The long and winding road......


This warm spring weather has me ready to jump in my car and take off.  I don’t even care where we go! 
 
That being said, we are getting excited about a road trip sprint to Missouri.  We’ll leave next week one day after school and be back home within 3 days.  That is for sure an 880 mile sprint.  That’s a long way for a weekend but we have a great reason for our adventure.

My husband’s grandparents are celebrating their 60th Wedding Anniversary.  I know, WOW.  Very few people have the pleasure of spending that many years together.  So, the miles are worth it. 

I wonder how many miles a person travels being married that long?  Granny and Grandpa visited us once and told us about coming to Colorado as newlyweds to work on the western slope picking peaches with Grandpa’s family in the 1950’s.  They remembered going over Rabbit Ears Pass close to Steamboat Springs probably because their visit was before I-70 even existed.   More than 40 years after their first trip to Colorado, there was a twinkle in their eyes and laughter on their lips as they recalled every moment and mile in glorious detail. 

That summer we took them with us to Yellowstone.  It was a thrill for my husband and I to share our favorite spot on the planet with them. Granny walked every inch without complaint to see all the geysers.  Grandpa practically skipped out of the car to see the bears and the mud pots.  We laughed, took lots of photos and we were all treated to the gift of each other’s company for an entire week of travel. 

Our lives hold a lot of history.  With any luck, mine will hold a lot of miles full of adventure and the thrill of the road with my family. 


Yellowstone the Summer of 1998 with my Husband's Grandparents. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! Where should we visit next?