Go-Go

Monday, January 7, 2013

It's the journey.

I am a bit of a control freak.  Always have been.  I thought I was the only one but apparently there are a lot of us out there.  So, hopefully you understand why planning the trip is ALMOST as much fun as the trip itself.

I love traveling.  I always thought it would be fun to be a travel planner. However it would be challenging for me to plan a trip and then not go.  In fact, the planning and anticipation of a trip is euphoric for me. 

When I was 10 years old, I started going to 4-H camp every summer.  I loved getting out the suitcase, reading the "things to bring to camp" list, buying little miniature bottles of soap, shampoo and toothpaste.  Shopping and finding just the right snacks to stash and share with the others girls in my cabin.  Planning out which "outfit" I would wear on each day.  Then packing.  Oh how I loved to pack that suitcase.  I would try 3 or 4 different ways just in case one plan allowed me to carry one more outfit or mid-night snack to share with friends.  I was usually packed and ready at least a week before I was scheduled to leave. 



Now, 30 years later and I am still planning, anticipating and packing.  Shhh., but I even have packing lists for trips I have not taken yet.  Since we camp a lot in the summer I actually have lists based on various numbers of days our trips usually run from 3 days to 7 days. 

This month we are taking our kids to California to the ocean and Disneyland.  I had to keep my preparations secret until after the holidays because this trip was their Christmas surprise.  So, now I am in full gear!  I thought I'd share a list of things that I do to prepare for a trip in case you need a little help and are not as much of a control freak as I am.

THINGS TO DO:
* Packing List
* Special items needed for destination (example -- sunscreen, surfboard)
* List of things to buy when we arrive (grocery list or other items)
* Menu (this is for our camping trips)
* Folder with tickets, confirmations, coupons and other reference materials for trip
* Itinerary with fun facts to thrill my family along the way.
* Addresses and stamps for postcards
* To do list BEFORE we leave (I tend to forget to pay bills & other mundane tasks in the anticipation of travel.)
* Bag of goodies for children (little toys and suprises for ride or flight)
* Clean out my bag/purse and organize for trip.  (Really this is why I travel, to have a clean purse!)

I also like to have my house nice and clean when we leave.  It makes me happy to be home when I walk in and it is clean and tidy. 

I am sure that all travelers agree that the trip is certainly the best part of the adventure.  But, for some of us the planning and anticipation of travel is a wonderful adventure as well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! Where should we visit next?