Go-Go

Sunday, August 12, 2012

What I did for summer vacation......



Summer is nearly over.  In a few weeks children everywhere will write the same essay….. “What I did for summer vacation.”  It was always my favorite paper of the year!  I loved telling my teacher about my summer.   But, when the papers were graded, passed out and read aloud it was hearing about the summer adventures of my friends that thrilled me to no end. 

Hearing about another person’s summer adventures was like a little mini vacation of my own.  I was always amazed at the kid’s that left the United States for summer break! It always seemed so exotic and mysterious to the girl that visited Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon or Florida.  It made me want to see more of this world.

It was exhilarating to talk with my friends about shared adventures.  There were the trips we took together like summer camp or a 4-H trip to Washington DC.  Then there were also trips they took with their family to places I had visited with my family like Yellowstone or Disney World.  We’d either laugh about our adventure together or share funny stories about things we did to trick our brother or sister when we went on our similar but different family vacations. 

Some kids stayed at home for the summer.  I always loved traveling in the summer but they always made fishing, riding bikes and swimming in their Grandma’s pond sound like a grand adventure as well.  The relaxing easy way of their summer made me feel like maybe theirs was just a bit longer and slower than mine.  So, it made me just a wee bit jealous too.

Though my days of the “what I did over summer break” essay are over I still love to ask my friends about their travels.  I read blogs about traveling and follow people that have the pleasure of traveling full time.  I think I will always dream of being a nomadic hobo on the road.  But, until I can bring that dream to reality I will enjoy swapping travel tales with my friends and strangers on the go. 

So…… what did you do for your summer vacation this year?  Leave a comment.  I’d love to hear about it! 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! Where should we visit next?