Go-Go

Saturday, April 7, 2012

What's an Ikea and why is it on a travel blog?



Normally, I would write and tell you about a vacation spot we visited.  This week it was not a vacation destination, though it could be.  This week it was not a resort, though I could hide in there and be pretty comfy.  This week it was not a museum, though yeah it was a museum.  It was a stop at Ikea in Denver Colorado. 

I've never been to an Ikea.  In fact, never thought I needed to visit an Ikea. When I first got married I told my husand that I wanted furniture made of real wood, nice wood.  I had spent 5 years using boards, stolen milk crates and shelves made of pressed paper product so I wanted wood, pretty wood, big people furniture.  So, Ikea was not on my top 10 for many years.

However, like all technology they are getting better at making things out of non-tree materials.  We now live in a world that is more conscious of its limited resources.  I have grown up and decided I don't need to keep everything and pass it on as an heirloom.  So, after 18 years of marriage I sing a little different tune. 

We arrived at Ikea after having lunch at the ONLY Steak-N-Shake in Colorado which just happens to be a mile or so down the road.  So, I was feeling fat and sassy as we arrived. 


The building was huge and very yellow and blue.  It really stands out.  Actually, I was suprised the city was ok with it's "hello we're over here colors."  As we drove up there was a drive that had enough room for a car going in and a car going out.  It seemed like there was a bridge over an open area... like a moat but perhaps that was my imagination.  There seemed to be very few parking spots but then I realized this building was the store AND the parking garage. 

We parked.  Got out.  Started in and found the building to seem empty except for an escalator going up.  It was very minimalist.  Was I a lamb being lead to slaughter?  It was strange. 

At the top of the escalator we see a customer service rep waiting with a smile, a big yellow bag for me to fill with items, a ruler, a pencil and a map.  Oh dear, I need a map.  Is this so I can escape the slaughter? 

Then, I see a happy lil barn looking structure where people are leaving their children.  Childcare?  In a store?  Is it free?  Can I move closer?  1 hour free childcare per day.  1 1/2  hours if I join some kind of Ikea Family club.  I go for the 1 hour.  So, far it doesn't look like I'll need that much time.  Our 3 year old has spotted the crayons and the ball pit.  He's all in.  We leave before he changes his mind. 

Another escallator.  We are going to board the mother ship where the Ikea Aliens will take us to their home planet and do something to us.  I'm starting to worry. 

There are arrows on the floor showing us where to go.  Maybe it's not the mother ship.  Maybe, we are off to see the wizard. 

There are rooms decorated with all this fabulous stuff you can buy.  Things to store your things, to move your things, to display your things, ultimately things to love your things that are waiting for you at home. 

Home, I don't want to go home.  I believe I will move into this model of a 750 square foot home.  Ikea can keep my children in their childcare area.  I will live here.  Then, my husband finds a space designed as a bachelor pad and he thinks maybe he'd like to be a bachelor again.  I tell him I will be single again and live in the 300 square foot apartment down the hall with the loft bed and rockin' kitchen.  We can date.  It will be fun. 

Ikea just went on forever.  It made me want to toss everything in my house and start over.  I felt sad I wasn't a college graduate starting out and just beginning to accumulate stuff.   

At the end of our long journey in Ikea.  There was food.  Yes, a restaurant with food like meatballs and mashed potatoes  -- Swedish food.  I wanted to be Swedish.  Wait.....I am.  My grandfather spoke Swede because his parents came straight from Sweden to the U.S.   Ikea... you are my people.  We are kin.  I am home.

So, most of the time, I would be the first to say that shopping is not a vacation destination.  However, I must say Ikea was because it was certainly out of this world!



Please note:  Ikea is safe.  You are not being led to slaughter or Oz.  Your credit card on the other hand is a different story!  So, make a list, measure your space and be prepared. 

2 comments:

  1. I love me some IKEA... Can find cool, wonderful stuff but I will be the first to admit it doesn't have everything. Personally, I am decorating the shipping container "cabin" I am going to put on the Osage River once we buy a spot there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that Ikea is so far away from us, or we'd be there all the time. My sis says the best in NY use Ikea kitchens. Like your tale of adventure!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! Where should we visit next?