Go-Go

Sunday, April 1, 2012

A Leap of Faith

We are just home from a weekend in Thermopolis Wyoming for my 42nd Birthday.  Thermopolis is a little town with about 3,000 people at a windy Wyoming elevation of about 4300 ft.  It packs a lot of fun for such a small community so we just love going whether it is a quick weekend get-a-way or for a stop on our way to Yellowstone National Park or Cody Wyoming.    (http://thermopolis.com/)

Since I am the "PERFECT" age for a mid-life crisis I thought I'd share my little story.  I am also sharing a photo that is not a favorite because I am in a bathing suit but it is my proof this happend  -- YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!   
While visiting Thermopolis we had a wonderful hike to Legend Rock to see Petroglyphs that were 11,000 years old and stopped in Meeteetse for chocolate from a very famous Cowboy Chocolatier.  The second day we rode bikes across town to the Star Plunge where the local hot springs feed the pools and keep them absolutely perfect in temperature.  The Star Plunge also has several water slides which thrilled my children for an entire day. 

Every visit my son climbs to the top of the high dive board (14 foot) and jumps in like it is no big deal.  Perhaps for a 9 year old; having no idea of pain, weighing in at 55 pounds soaking wet, this 14 foot drop is not a big deal.  However, that diving board has haunted me on every visit.  I so much want to jump.  I am so afraid to -- drown, break a bone, get a bruise, look like an idiot.... the list goes on.  So, I've never done it. 

Not this time.  I have several things in my life right now that I need to work on trusting that God will take care of me and the people around me.  That he has me in the palm of his hand.  So, before we left for the trip I told two friends at the gym I was going to do it and they needed to hold me accountable when I came back.

So...  I stood at the bottom of the ladder and looked up for what seemed like an eternity.  My son made at least 4 jumps off the board while I was getting up the courage to climb the ladder.  I knew once I got up there I was not coming down so I made sure I was ready to go up. 

When I reached the second step my legs were shaking.  By the time I reached the top the other adults in the pool were all turned and watching me.  I actually felt like I was going to be sick.  The wind was blowing and I could feel the tower moving ever so slightly and could hear a faint creak in the structure.  I held on to the ladder with white knuckles. 

More people turned and had their eyes glued on this dorky, over weight 40-something year old trying to pretend like she was a kid again.  I hollered at the crowd and told them I expected appalause when I finished this.  I stood there and said a short prayer and remembered why I wanted to do this.  The palm of his hand that is where I sit every day, this jump will remind me of that very fact. 

So, I took a deep breath and did something I have NEVER done before I yelled out a bible verse:  I can do all things thru Christ who gives me strength.    Then I ran and jumped off. 

Zowie Mama did it hurt but I lived.  The best part was not the jumping, not the applause (yes there was applause) but what happened after I jumped. 

NO ONE,  I mean NO ONE over the age of 12 had been jumping off the board all morning.  After I jumped a line of 8 adults formed at the ladder and they all jumped in too.  Well, one man made four trips up to the top and never made it off.  But still it was really remarkable to see what my little act of courage did for others. 

Here is what I learned. 

God keeps me right there, right there in the palm of his hand.  Now, something horrible could have happened but I was still right there in the palm of his hand.  I am soooo thankful nothing horrible happened but in fact something wonderful happened.  I found out that when ordinary (maybe even less than ordinary) people do something extraordinary then other people are inspired to try great things too!  That my friends is basically how the world is made a better place. 

So, find your high dive that terrifies you and take a jump!  Come on in the water is fine! 

(It is important to note:  Since learning this very valuable lesson I have no further need to jump off of that high dive -- check and done! )


Like a real cowboy we needed a key for the gate to Legend Rock.

Like a real cowboy Hudson got to drive the truck to Legend Rock.

Happy Birthday to Bev in WINDY Wyoming!

ET Phone Home!  Love this!

Being silly while camping!

Happy Birthday Mommy!

Yep I really did it!  Whoo Hoo!

A wonderful trip with a wonderful family!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! Where should we visit next?