Go-Go

Sunday, June 12, 2011

What's your 8 second ride?

He's hooked on a feelin', addicted to a natural high
Don't know why it's appealin', all he knows is he's got to ride.
He's addicted to danger.
Ruled by passion and pride.
To pain and fear he's no stranger
But his lust needs to be satisfied
Hooked on an 8 second ride           Chris Ledoux


Tonight we took the kids to the Cody Nite Rodeo.  Every night all summer they have a rodeo and for a few buckaroos you can put on your shiny new boots and hat and pretend that you know all about being a cowboy. 



The last time I was at the Cody Nite Rodeo I was 20 years old and working in Yellowstone the summer before my junior year in college.  Now, here I am 21 years later taking the kiddos and boy is the view different. 

As we sat in the stands I got the biggest kick out of watching my 2 year old dance to the music while he shoved fist fulls of popcorn in his mouth. His 8 year old brother was thrilled with having a coke all to himself while he enjoyed the cowboys flying through the air like ragdolls from the backs of broncs and bulls that found each cowboy as annoying as a fly on a hot day.   

There was  group of young women sitting behind us that were probably close to the age I was on my previous visit.  They sat talking about the cowboys.  I even heard one girl say, "Oh he has the prettiest teeth" which made me think she was buying livestock instead of looking for a date. 

I know I had a wonderful time all those years ago because I was young and with wonderful friends I had made while working in Yellowstone.  I know we laughed and I am POSITIVE we talked about the cowboys and their jeans.  Oh, yes those jeans are something to behold, but I digress....... The life I have now, that is the 8 second ride that is worth it every time and keeps me getting up every morning to get back on the bull.

As we left my two year old threw a major fit and kicked off his boots which meant Daddy carried him back to the truck like a sack of potatoes.  During the walk to the car he kept screaming, "Mommy carry me", "Mommy hold my hand" and was one of the wildest critters of the night.  Still... this life, this family is the 8 second ride that will have me climbing in the chute every day. 



Tomorrow we are heading in to Yellowstone.  Not sure when we'll have time to post because I imagine that wifi is very minimal in the park.  However, check back.  If we find "Griz" we'll have to find a way to upload a video or photos for you to enjoy. 

Until then..  Enjoy your 8 SECOND RIDE whatever it may be!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! Where should we visit next?